12/6/13

Cardio vs. Weight Lifting.

Here I am finally answering one of the three whole questions I have fielded about fitness.

Morgan asks:  "I've heard weight training aids/causes weight loss, but I don't get it. I've always thought cardio, cardio, cardio! Explain."

Here is how weight training aids weight loss.  Notice I said aids, it really doesn't cause weight loss.  Cardio is still the way to burn, burn, burn calories.  But as quoted in this article that was just posted on fox.com a few days ago, "Strength training is the number-one way to build more muscle. And for every three pounds of muscle you gain, you can expect to burn an extra 120 calories a day without moving a single one of those muscles."  

When you have more muscle mass on your body, your body burns more calories.  Those muscles need more energy to exist in your body than does goo, or fat.  They help increase your metabolism so you actually are burning more calories not just while at rest, but also while exercising.  See how it can "aid" weight loss.  

Many of the popular workout routines these days incorporate both a cardio and a strength component.  If you watch The Biggest Loser," you will see this in action.  They don't just concentrate on cardio, but they also do strength training. Most of the time that strength training is during the cardio.  I like the mix.  

I teach a weight training class and it is one of my favorite things.  Lifting can be fun.  I also get cardio in as much as possible(my calves are killing me this week.  I think I went too fast into running again!).  

Be sure to add strength training into you exercise routine.  Not only will you look better, but you will burn more calories just watching television!  And that really is the goal, right?

If you have any more questions, please comment, email me, or message me on facebook.  This was really fun.  I like answering questions.

No comments: